Thonny is One of the software used to program the Raspberry PI Pico, a detailed step by step installation is given below.
1) By clicking on the following link,
will take you to the download site. Then click on Windows
2) An executable file will be downloaded, Open it by clicking on Open file.
3) Opening the executable file will open the Thonny setup Wizard, Press Next.
4) If you accept the Agreement after reading it fully, then Click “I accept the agreement” and click Next.
5) You can save the program files wherever you want by clicking Browse Button, Then click Next.
6) You can create a desktop Icon if you want by checking the “Create desktop Icon” dialog box, then click Next.
7) Click on “Install“.
8) Once you click Install, files will be extracted.
9) It will compile the standard library.
10) After Installing click on Finish.
11) Open the Application.
12) You will get two options standard and Raspberry Pi, currently Standard has been chosen and continued.
Click on “Lets go!“
13) Thonny standard application has been setup.
14) To connect Thonny Application with PICO Go to Tools>Options…
15) Thonny Options dialog box opens –
Go to the Interface Tab and select MicroPython(Raspberry Pi Pico) in the drop down list of Which interpreter option.
16) Choose Try to detect port automatically under the Port option.
17) Then click on Install or update firmware button. In the thonny options window.
18) The Install MicroPython firmware dialog box appears-
As per the dialog box-
a) Plug in the Pico device while Pressing the BOOTsel button (it is the only button in PICO)
b)After Plugging in the PICO, the device information will appear (version,targer location,target device)
c) Click Install (MUST BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET FOR DOWNLOADING)
19) The firmware will be copied in your PICO.
20) After the firmware is downloaded select the port from the drop down menu or click on Try to detect port automatically. Then click on OK.
Your PICO is now connected to Thonny software.
21) For checking whether the PICO is properly functioning or not –
An example program (Blink) is written. for the inbuilt LED GPIO Pin 25 (only led of board)
22) To save the Program in Pico Go to File>Save as
23) Choose the location to save, Raspberry pi pico has been choosen here.
24) Give the File name ending with .py and Click OK.
25) Your program will be saved. Click on Run current script Icon to Run the program.
26) The Inbuilt LED in PICO will start to Glow after succesfully uploading the Program.