Ardupilot Mega APM 2.8 is a professional quality autopilot that is based on the Arduino Mega platform. It is a completely open-source platform and you can find the firmware and software are available on the web. This software is constantly updated with new and improved features by a team of core developers as well as the huge community around the world. This autopilot can control Quadcopters, fixed-wing aircraft, Boats, multi-rotor helicopters, as well as traditional helicopters.
- It is a full autopilot capable for autonomous stabilization.
- Way-point based navigation and two-way telemetry with XBee wireless modules.
- Supporting 8 RC channels with 4 serial ports.
- GPS Support for programmed auto-pilot missions with 3D waypoints. Also has optional external GPS interface.
- Built-in Compass as well as the external compass interface available.
- ArduPilot Mega consists of the main processor board and the IMU shield.
- One of the first open source autopilot systems to use Invensense’s 6 DoF Accelerometer/Gyro MPU-6000.
- Barometric pressure sensor upgraded to MS5611-01BA03, from Measurement Specialties.
- Onboard 4 MegaByte Dataflash chip for automatic data logging.
- This is designed to be used with the 3DR uBlox GPS with Compass so that the GPS/Compass unit can be mounted further from noise sources than APM itself.